While winter is full of excitement, time with family, and great food, it's also one of the most dangerous seasons. Carbon Monoxide deaths and fires are major risk factors during the snowy wonderland months. We know how stressful the season can be, so we put together a list of tips to help combat some of the dangers that could be lurking around your home before they become the Grinch to your holiday season!
- Festive and fun, sure ... Fire hazard absolutely.
- Inspect wiring for damage: any damage to outside lines for lights can spark fires.
- Watch that dry tree! - Fire-resistant is always the safest! If using a fresh live tree, please make sure that you keep it well watered and wet throughout use.
- Upgrade to LED - Energy efficient and produce almost no heat, sign me up!
Carbon Monoxide Dangers:
- Never use grills or camp stoves indoors!
- Keep all generators away from windows and doors, and NEVER use inside! Not even on a covered patio with screens!
- Never use a gas oven to warm your home.
- Have an HVAC professional inspect your unit if it's not keeping your home as comfortable as you would like.
Other factors to consider:
- Electric Blanket use - Never fall asleep with your blanket turned on. Make sure the plug and cords are in good condition. And never cover your electric blanket with another blanket.
- Space Heaters - Keep anything flammable away from space heaters; pillows, drapes, blankets, paper items, etc.
- Make sure to keep children away from heaters as they can easily burn and be knocked over
- Make sure cords and wires are in good condition.
- Do not run cords under rugs, carpets, or anything that poses a potential fire hazard.
The number one cause of winter fires is faulty electrical components.
- Have a professional electrician complete safety inspection.
- Keep your loved ones safe and warm this holiday season by practicing safe procedures when it comes to heating and electrical issues.